Seems like forever since I updated things here and for good reason. Lots of travel and an unscheduled move. Lots of chaos in both but the good news is now I’ll be in a 3 car garage instead of a 2 car. Plus with some small outside storage for all the yard stuff. So I’ll have my own dedicated space. Plenty of work to do to move, but once we’re in and settled, I’ll have a better space to work. Looking forward to that!
I know this is a car blog, but stories like this make me proud of my branch and my country.
Lost a bit of motivation over the last few days. Some personal stuff has effected what I’ll do with this project long term and I’m really not sure where it’s going to go in the long run. Spent too much time trying to think through a lot of different potential scenarios and almost none of them can I control. So yeah. Kind of in a bit of a funk right now.
What doesn’t help are these rear brake backing plate. They have fought me for months now and it’s just gotten another step worse. The machinist who did the last bit of work on it mangled up the heads on the allen bolts and I can’t remove them. I can drill them and put new hardware in. Just another step in a process that I should have completed a long time ago. Just frustrating.
Back at it tomorrow for a few minutes…..will try and find a little bit of light at the end of this dark tunnel I seem to be in right now. Bah!
Posting pics of my 67 Chevelle has drawn some attention. I get it. It’s a cool car! While I’m enjoying this 1967 El Camino build, it’s no Chevelle. Had a few questions about the car and what I’m doing with it.
I bought it in 1989. I grew up in Kansas City and my friend in high school had grandparents who lived in nearby Lawrence, KS (Rock Chalk Jayhawk!) who owned the car. They bought it new and I think it might have been their first car. Nothing special. 283, powerglide Malibu. Super low miles on when I bought it. 67,000. It didn’t get driven much. Just around town in Lawrence where they retired. It was a very well taken care of old Chevelle.
When I bought it, I drove it with the 283 for a while. When I decided to pull it in favor of a 377ci small block I built, it kind of started a bit of a snowball effect. It’s had quite a few different engines and transmissions over the years. Mostly big blocks. Last was an LS and a T-56. One thing that stayed consistent for half its life is a manual transmission. M-20s, Super T10s. Grenaded most of them! The Viper T56 was to be the last one in, but I sold it to pay for a few things that life through my direction.
So what am I doing with it now? Its sitting in storage back in Kansas City until I find a permanent place to live. Right now renting a house from an owner who isn’t too excited about that kind of work being done on his property didn’t seem like the best situation for bringing the car out west. In due time. Eager to get back to work on it. In the meantime, I started this El Camino project to keep me occupied. It’s been fun so far.
The Chevelle was torn down almost 15 years ago to bare chassis and rebuilt from the ground up. Could pictures from that process. It’s the only car I’ve ever kept and I can’t think of a situation that would make me get rid of it!
Met a gentleman today who is building an inline 6 for his 63 Nova. Had a fun discussion with him on what he is going to do. I gave him a few leads on some companies who still make product for these old engines. Clifford Research and Offenhauser come to mind. Plus there is a company in southern California who specializes in inline stuff. Forget the name.
Reminded me of the one I scrapped out of this 67 El Camino. Good stuff! Would be fun to build one if I can ever find the time.
Here ya go James! Hopes these images are useful to you. Best of luck and hopefully we’ll see you and the car at the Good Guys Puyallup show.
Well it arrived today and I’ve had a few minutes to work with it. Built another fixture to hold the backing plate so I can mill it down. Not exactly happy with the quality of this X-Y machine. I bought a $100 one in hopes the quality would be a bit higher but its not. I “think” it will do the job I need it to, but if it were something that I had some very fine tolerances that I was trying to meet, this one would not be the one I’d want. Everything is just too loose for me and no way to tighten it down. Its just very cheaply made. Will give it a go tomorrow.
While I wait for the new tool to arrive so I can get the brakes milled up and mounted, I spent the evening just doing a few little things that I have neglected. Nothing major. Really want to stay focused on t he brakes and then get back on the EFI system install before I jump into something else time consuming. Just a few random shots from tonight. Hopefully the tool arrives tomorrow, but I’m not confident as of this moment until the UPS tracking updates and gives me that awesome “out for delivery” notice.
I ordered an X-Y cross slide vice to use with my drill press. Given the material I’m using is aluminum, I don’t have any concern that I can chew through the material easily and mill off the proper amount of material to get the spacing correct on the brake shoes. Will be here in a few days and I’ll put it to the test!